Tuesday, July 22, 2014

College Food

As I sat at my desk trying to write my dreaded organic chemistry lab report, the most delicious aroma entered my room.. the smell of bulgogi. I made my way downstairs and there they were. My barred out roommate Ted and a skillet of delicious, sizzling bulgogi on the stove. I helped myself to a plate of white rice, bulgogi, marinated squid, and dried seaweed, courtesy of Ted. I brought it back upstairs and devoured it in under 10 minutes... and while eating it, I truly realized what my favorite food was. I remember in grade school, whenever we filled out questionnaires, I would always write "Fried chicken"... or "Italian food"... or "Japanese food" for my favorite foods. I was either too embarrassed to write Korean food, or I was just sick of eating it every day at home. But being away from home 90% of the time for 3 years in a row really brings you back to your roots. I miss Korean food, I miss my mother's cooking. I'm not a terrible cook, but what I make in the kitchen isn't really ethnic food. It's just groceries from Albertson's and Trader Joes that I whip together in the fastest way possible. It's College food, and it's definitely not my favorite food. 

Melatonin kickin in now... Goodnight.

Brian Chun
July 2014
21 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment